Sunday, September 15, 2013

Sunday Dinner - Granny's Tetrazzini

As I've mentioned in the past, I love reliving family favorites for Sunday dinner. Dad and I have a wedding to attend today though, so we actually had Sunday Dinner last night. Temperatures the past couple of days have been ever so slightly cooler, hinting at the approach of autumn. This, of course, has me anxious to indulge in some richer flavors for dinner.

Nothing speaks better to that need for warming comfort food than my Granny's chicken tetrazzini. I remember when we were kids, this was my brother's favorite dish. He'd ask Granny to make it for him for his birthday dinner.

Like me, she doesn't follow recipes so much as methods. You just "doctor it up" until it tastes good. She uses evaporated milk in hers but I just use skim milk since that's what I have on hand. It would also taste great if you wanted to add in some mushrooms or peas but she made hers plain so that's how I do it.

1 whole chicken
1 package egg noodles
garlic or garlic powder
ground sage
ground thyme
ground nutmeg
salt & pepper
2 T flour
2 T olive oil
1 cup milk
1 cup grated parmesan

In a large stock pot, cover chicken with water. Season heavily with garlic, sage, thyme, nutmeg, salt & pepper. Boil gently until tender. Remove chicken from stock and set aside 2 cups of the stock. Add enough water to remaining stock in pot to boil the noodles. While stock returns to a boil, debone the chicken. Cook noodles according to package instructions and drain.

Return empty pot to burner then add olive oil and flour. Whisk over medium heat to make a roux. Gradually add in reserved stock and milk, whisking continuously. When slightly thickened, turn off heat, add parmesan and adjust seasoning to your taste. Mix together with noodles and deboned chicken.

Easy, peasy one-pot tetrazzini for serving up family style. Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment